[CentOS] Buggy SATA detection w/CentOS5 + Intel H6300ESB?

Tue Oct 2 20:05:03 UTC 2007
Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com>

Chris Mauritz wrote:
> I've been handed a Supermicro system that is using the Intel® H6300ESB
> Serial ATA Controller (Supermicro P4SCI motherboard).  When I install
> CentOS5, everything seems to work OK, but it has absolutely horrid
> disk performance.  Upon further inspection, it seems that the SATA
> disks are being treated as legacy IDE devices using PIO.  Gah....
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?  I recall having similar problems
> last year sometime with some Supermicro systems, but I can't seem to
> remember how I fixed it.  :-)

Sorry to follow-up my own post.  The answer (after digging through a
stack of old notes) seems to be that you must go into the bios settings
and change the SATA controller to "enhanced mode".  Using "SATA" and
"IDE" both resulted in the disks being discovered as PIO IDE disks
instead of SCSI devices.

Best,