[CentOS] Problems suspending/hibernating Dell Latitude D810 with CentOS 5

Thu Oct 4 15:16:42 UTC 2007
Patrick <centos-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl>

On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 13:24 +0200, ArcosCom Linux User wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm having problems trying to suspend/hibernate my Dell Latitude D810 Laptop.
>
> Basically I have an ATI X600 videographics and SATA harddrive and run
> httpd and mysqld daemons on it.
>
> I use fglrx (ATI propietary drivers) and the open too with no success.
>
> I tried with 1 and 2 screens configurations with no success.
>
> I tried with CA and/or with battery with no success.
>
> I need some help to debug de suspend/hibernate proccess and help to
> discover at wich point the process is stopped.
>
> When I try to suspend/hibernate, the screens are powered off, but the
> system not go into suspend mode or power off (when hibernating). Then I
> have to use power button to power off/on the lapton and when I login into
> gnome, It says me that had a problem with suspend/hibernate process.
>
> All help is apretiated!!
>
> Regards

Try the quirk site which can help you analyze the problem and fixing it:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/quirk-suspend-index.html

Recommendations based on my experience with an Acer TM6465 laptop:

1) do not use "vga=..." when booting the laptop. Remove it at boot or
   from grub.conf. If you get suspend/resume working you can try to turn
   it back on and see if it still works

2) run the quirk-check.sh script for recommendations. Get it here:
   http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/quirk-checker.sh
   If you use the fglrx driver the script will complain and abort so
   switch to the open driver before using it

3) answer all the question on this webpage and follow the advice. For
   example if that webpage recommends you try "--quirk-s3-bios" or
   "--quirk-s3-mode" this means that you boot your laptop (without
   vga=...) and with the open driver, not the proprietary fglrx driver,
   login to your graphical environment, open a terminal and as root type
   in:
   # pm-suspend --quirk-s3-bios
   or if it does not work
   # pm-suspend --quirk-s3-mode

4) you can only use the fglrx driver and have working suspend/resume if
   you disable the DRI functionality in the fglrx driver. Obviously it
   doesn't make sense to use a proprietary driver if you can't use the
   DRI part so I recommend you switch to the open one.

   if you really must use fglrx then disable DRI in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
   Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard0"
	Driver      "fglrx"
	Option	    "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
	Option	    "VideoOverlay" "on"
	Option      "no_dri" "yes"        # <----- turn off DRI
    EndSection

    Do realize that without DRI the performance of 3D apps like games
    will be terrible so you might as well use the open driver.

6) if everything fails, download Fthe edora 8 Test 3 Live image, boot it
   on your laptop and check if suspend/resume works. If it does at least
   you know you have another option.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Patrick