[CentOS] expand physical volume

Sat Oct 6 22:04:07 UTC 2007
Peter Kjellstrom <cap at nsc.liu.se>

On Saturday 06 October 2007, Thomas Antony wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I added a disk to a hardware raid 5 array and now i want to expand the
> LVM physical volume. There are now 4 sas 146GB disks in the server.
> The virtual disk /dev/sdb from the raid controller has been resized
> successfully with the server management software osma.
>
> [root at srv1 ~]# fdisk -l /dev/sdb
>
> Disk /dev/sdb: 438.4 GB, 438489317376 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 53309 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>     Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sdb1   *           1       35539   285466986   8e  Linux LVM
>

> When i run "pvresize /dev/sdb1" the output tells me it has been resized,
> but actually the physical volume didn't expand to the partition size 438GB.

The one and only partition on your device (sdb1) has the old size. That is,
there's free space on sdb. You have to either 1) create a partition sdb2 (and
then a pv on it etc.) or 2) resize the partition sdb1 (then resize the pv
etc.).

I'd pick #1. remember to reread the partition table after creating the
partition (partprobe /dev/sdb or similar) before doing pvcreate on sdb2.

The all you have left is to add the pv to your vg, resize the lv (or create a
new lv, whichever...). And finally resize the filesystem in the lv.

Good luck,
 Peter