[CentOS] Gnome panels

Sat Oct 6 22:53:54 UTC 2007
fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 04:23:37PM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 18:19:13 -0400
> fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
>
> > But how do I get the menus, etc., from the top panel onto the bottom one?
>
> Right-click on the item you want to move, select move, move it to the bottom
> one.
>
> Or just delete the whole top panel and re-create it on the bottom by
> right-clicking on the bottom panel  and selecting "Add to Panel".

OK, I can see how that can be made to work.

But that doesn't seem to give me what I want, still.

When I upgraded from a Centos-3 to centos-4 system, I retained the older
look of the panels. But when installing Centos4 afresh it gives the new
look.

Even doing what you propose doesn't, as far as I can see, make the panel
look like it did in the older versions. But since one can retain that
look when upgrading an older system to the newer gnome, I surmise that
the difference is entirely in the configuration.

So, if I knew how to hack at the configurations (which I've not been able
to figure out, so far) I should be able to get what I want.

Example: the workspace switcher, in the older version, is a box that
is 2X2, not four in a row. The panel buttons for switching tasks take
up half the height of the panel, not the full height (as they do when
I simply enlarge the panel of the new installation) and can be stacked
two high on the panel.

Frank, I appreciate your helpful advice! It's just that it doesn't
seem to be taking me quite where I would like to go. Thanks anyhow!

Fred
                      The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
                    keeping watch on the wicked and the good.