[CentOS] Re: pam_ldap + nscd

Mon Oct 8 01:37:28 UTC 2007
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 12:23 +0200, Felix Schwarz wrote:
> Steve Rigler schrieb:
> > It has a lot to do with user root if you use rootbinddn in
> > "/etc/ldap.conf" and put the password into "/etc/ldap.secret" which
> > should only be readable by root.
>
> You are right but I even set the permissions on ldap.secret to 0644 to be sure
> that there are no acl problems. I expected that nscd would use rootbinddn if
> ldap.secret was readable for the user "nscd".
>
> fs
>
> PS: This was on a test machine, I won't ever make ldap.secret world readable in
> a production environment.
----
Why would nscd need to bind on it's own to ldap? Perhaps it's because I
don't normally use nscd but I can't see any reason for it to do so.
Either a user or service binds to LDAP with it's own credentials or it
fails and nscd shouldn't need it's own set of credentials. Perhaps
someone can tech me something here.

Craig