[CentOS] Supermicro X7DVL-E and Xeon L5320 installation problems

Mon Oct 8 17:34:51 UTC 2007
Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com>

Chris Boyd wrote:
> Tearing our hair out on this one.  Trying to install CentOS 5 x86_64
> on a Supermicro X7DVL-E with 2 Xeon L5320 quad core CPUs, 3Ware SATA
> RAID controller in a mirrored setup and 4 GB of memory.  Installation
> crashes at random places while copying the files.  We've run memtest86
> for 24 hours without any errors, replaced the RAID controller,
> motherboard and disks, but still no luck.
>
> Any thoughts, hints or LARTs appreciated.

I had similar issues on a recent install.  It turned out to be errors on
the install media (which I have gotten lazy about checking).  I reburned
the DVD (with verify enabled this time) and it worked just fine afterwards.

Best,