[CentOS] ot: vlans and vmware

Wed Oct 10 01:31:26 UTC 2007
Gordon McLellan <gordonthree at gmail.com>

I'm not sure what I've done to change things (my scientific method is change
as many things as possible all at the same time), but "dot1q" tagging is now
working from my guest OS.

When I try to create a vlan named "vlanX" where x is the vlan number, the
guest complains about the vlan not being present.  However, when I create a
vlan named eth2.X it works just fine.  The only thing I changed on the host
was setting eth2's ip address to 0.0.0.0 with no other parameters.

Just FYI for future reference:

Host NIC: Intel Dual Gigabit server adapter (pcie x4)
Guest NIC: VMWare tool's accelerated network adapter
Switch: Old school Cisco 2924XL

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Gordon