[CentOS] How to export X displays

Thu Oct 11 01:51:00 UTC 2007
Paul <subsolar at subsolar.com>

On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 16:09 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Feizhou wrote:
>
> > John R Pierce wrote:
> > >
> > > RDP is a Microsoft Windows Remote Desktop Protocol.     what good would that
> > > be for linux to linux ??!?
> >
> > Well if Linux did have a RDP server then it might be good...RDP is fast (well,
> > I could play Pinball 3D with it :-P)
>
> There is xrdp and I have packaged it for RPMforge, but I am not sure if it
> is completely usable. (ie. I haven't figured out how to use it and
> therefor I didn't make the proper sysv script etc...)

I took a quick look at it a while back and it looks like xrdp setups a
local vnc server and then acts as a translation layer for VNC to RDP.  I
would think that it would be less efficient than just using VNC on linux
and the only advantage is encryption and the ability to use the remote
desktop client.

The main reason that RDP is more responsive than VNC on windows is that
RDP does caching and works on the GDI API level similar NX does for X. I
have watched video playing on a Windows system using UltraVNC with
reasonable framerate on a LAN.

I did setup on RHL 7.2 a Terminal Server like system where I had
xinetd(inetd?) launch a VNC server that would connect to gdm to get a
graphical logon to start a session. There were issues with memory, cpu
and network bandwidth for more than a handful of users along with the
inability to continue a dropped session. IIRC it even worked with DosVNC
so that you could use it with a DOS boot floppy.

Paul Berger