[CentOS] How to export X displays

Thu Oct 11 02:24:20 UTC 2007
Paul <subsolar at subsolar.com>

On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 15:12 -0400, Alfred von Campe wrote:
> On Oct 10, 2007, at 14:18, Brian Mathis wrote:
>
> > CentOS has "Desktop Sharing" built in.  Look for it in one of the
> > settings/preferences menus.  "Enable desktop sharing", and then you
> > can use VNC as a remote client.
>
> Wow, that was easy!  I thought I was going to have to jump through a
> bunch of hoops to get this working.
>
> Thanks, and we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread
> topic...
>
> Alfred

The Gnome desktop sharing (vino) requires that a Gnome Session be
started already, if you need to log in remotely to the console you can
use the libvnc Xorg module to hook the current X session.  This has the
advantage that a desktop session does not need to be started before it
works and the user can't turn it off.

A quick how-to to do it is the following:

First install the vnc-server package on the system if it's not already
installed:
yum install vnc-server

In the Module section of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file add the following
line:
Load "vnc"

Then in the Screen section of the xorg.conf file add the following line:
Option "PasswordFile" "/etc/vncpassword"

You need to create the password file with the following command as root:
vncpasswd /etc/vncpassword

You will then want to make the password readable only by root with:
chmod 600 /etc/vncpassword

I use this on my home server so I can use a gui browser to download
large files from websites that won't work with a text brower or wget.

Paul Berger