[CentOS] Re: CentOS 5 LiveCD better than the real one?

Thu Oct 11 12:34:45 UTC 2007
Patrice Guay <patrice.guay at nanotechnologies.qc.ca>

Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:
> I am terribly puzzled by an issue reported as bug 2381
> [http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2381] — definitely an upstream
> bug, as it does the same under X/OS 5 and StartCom 5.
>
> Simply put: Hibernation fails with horrendous I/O errors after swsusp
> starts dumping to swap.
>
> What bugs me is that hibernating from the CentOS 5 LiveCD *works*!!!
> (on the same hardware)
>
> How could I investigate to see what is the relevant difference between
> the LiveCD and the installed system, WRT suspend-to-disk?
>
> It has been said that "CentOS 5 i386 Live CD is based on the ADIOS
> Live CD Project", but also that "CentOS Project would like to thank
> Patrice Guay for the creation of this CD". Who is supposed to know
> better about this issue?
>
> [...]
>
> It's a shame that RHEL5 && clones fail to work properly with a
> specific laptop (Acer Travelmate 5310/5320/5710/5720 have the same
> architectural design), but an ad-hoc LiveCD works!

Hi Radu-Christian,

I have a similar problem with the suspend/hibernate function under
CentOS 5 on my personal laptop (Acer Travelmate 8204). My latest LiveCD
respins, which are no longer based on the Adios Live CD project, have
the same problem with suspend/hibernate.

I will need to test the hibernation functionality under the CentOS 5
LiveCD (version 5.00) later today to see how it behaves.

Regards,
--
Patrice