[CentOS] Local mirroring of the CentOS repos

Thu Oct 11 14:16:44 UTC 2007
Ashley M. Kirchner <ashley at pcraft.com>

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Thanks, but this will still download and keep *all* updates for a
> platform.
    If they exist on the mirror, then yes.  However, anything that gets
removed from the mirror you're using, will also get deleted from your
local copy.  That's the whole idea behind rsync's --delete flag.  In my
case, I don't really care if the CentOS mirrors don't delete old stuff,
I just pull everything down.  However, on the Fedora side, they do
remove old packages, and rsync will automatically remove them from the
local copy as well.  I backup some 15 servers that way.  They're all
going to a single backup server where I keep up to 6 weeks worth of data
(for some, 2 weeks on others) using rsync as a backup utility.  Using
hardlinks between backups allows me to keep that much information.  And
if a file gets removed from the source, it will get removed from the
backup as well, but only for that run, not the previous ones.

    As for not having rsync on Win2K, you can install CygWin on it and
use rsync then.  I have a Server2003 pulling 2 TiB of data every night
from an old Win2K server using rsync.

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.
  Photo Craft Imaging                       .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6