[CentOS] ECC RAM Error

Thu Oct 11 20:32:28 UTC 2007
Peter Arremann <loony at loonybin.org>

On Thursday 11 October 2007, John R Pierce wrote:
> Peter Arremann wrote:
> > On Thursday 11 October 2007, Centos wrote:
> >> The ECC errors only happens when I am transferring data from other
> >> storage to this one that we get error.
> >> it only happens when it is writing data to it.
>
> What do you mean by "transferring data from other storage to this one"
> ?    These are main memory (RAM) ECC errors and have nothing to do with
> disk storage, networking, or anything else.
>
> and, 'writing data to it', its not clear what the 'it' is referring to.
Storage - anything that can store data. ECC is a generic term and covers all
kinds of checksumming algorithms. I was talking pretty generic - don't care
if ram, caches, nand-flash, ficon or anything else.

I was trying to get across that its hard to pinpoint where your bits flipped -
in the storage device, on the transmission there or back.

> So I dunno what you're talking about 'transmitted ot storage devices',
> etc....    Disk drives have their OWN ECC, this is quite different and
> seperate and has no relationship to the ECC in main memory.

Right - and again I was using generic terms because at the time that I posted,
the question was if the RAM is bad or any other component... :)

Peter.