[CentOS] CentOS 5 LiveCD better than the real one?

Fri Oct 12 06:48:55 UTC 2007
Radu-Cristian FOTESCU <beranger5ca at yahoo.ca>

--- Patrick <centos-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> If you are using the 8.41 ATI driver don't as it will break

I am using i810. And it has still nothing to do with *writing* to swap
failing with I/O errors!

> iirc if your swap partition/available swap is too small hibernate can fail.

It is not. The *same* partition works with Fedora 7, Mandriva 2008, and some
more.

> Don't use vga=... in your grub.conf as it may break suspend/resume.

I guess it would break the *resume*, but could not raise I/O *write* errors!

But I don't use vga= with RHEL5 clones anyway, as I remember it was a
regression and it was not supported at some point.

> Also make sure that the kvm, kvm_intel, iwl3945 modules are unloaded
> before suspending. This is done in /etc/pm/config.d/unload_modules
> Make sure you # chmod 755 unload_modules
>
> File contains something like:
> SUSPEND_MODULES="iwl3945 mac80211 cfg80211 kvm_intel kvm"

Uh, I'll check later, but I don't seem to be using neither of them.

> See this "quirk" webpage with tons of help:
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/quirk-suspend-debug.html
> /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/20-video-quirk-pm-acer.fdi

Thx. I guess I should digg also on
http://mhensler.de/swsusp/
JIC it has something of help for RHEL5.

> At least you know that it can work. That's better than not working
> at all :)

<sigh>Duh...</sigh>

> Suspend/resume/hibernate stuff is complicated and the zillions of
> different laptops out there all with their (buggy) bios and acpi
> implementations isn't helping either. So with that in mind imho I think
> it could be much worse. There is a lot of work going on to ensure that
> laptops just work. Laptop quirks are gradually added to hal-info which
> should make more and more laptops work correctly. If you find the quirk
> fix for your laptop please send the relevant info to the hal-info
> mailing list (see that "quirk" web page I gave above).

Yeah, but... on this laptop, even distros that were released *prior* to RHEL5
manage to hibernate! (e.g. openZuZE 10.2)

Well, if I'll discover smth over the weekend, I'll let you know.

Rgds,
R-C

      Get news delivered with the All new Yahoo! Mail.  Enjoy RSS feeds right on your Mail page. Start today at http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca