[CentOS] Local mirroring of the CentOS repos

Fri Oct 12 09:49:14 UTC 2007
Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org>

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Lorenzo Quatrini wrote:

> Kai Schaetzl ha scritto:
> > Lorenzo wrote on Thu, 11 Oct 2007 09:38:21 +0200:
> >
> > > Have you tried mrepo?
> >
> > How would this help? The main problem is to get rid of the "old" updates.
> > Kai
>
> You're right, I thought that mrepo would get rid of old updates by himself,
> but id doesn't.
> I am looking right now on different ways to get the same goal (save bandwidth,
> time and disk space); if I find someting I'll post on the mailing list.

The problem is not getting rid of the old updates. I can write the
functionality to do that. The problem is the fact that when you mirror
something, you get a complete copy of the mirror. The copy-tool (whether
it is lftp, rsync or something else) has no notion of 'only the recent
package'. It has no notion of versions or packages.

So while we could remove the older updates, you would pull them in every
time again and remove them again. I am certain this is what nobody wants
:)

However, if you use RHN with the rhnget tool, it does have the notion of
downloading only the recent updates. So the synchronisation with RHN
allows you to specify to clean up the old updates because the tool works
on RPMs. Not just on files.

If someone can come up with a smart way of handling this, mrepo can do it.