[CentOS] Problem creating volgroups with kickstart installations(on xen)

Sun Oct 14 15:05:37 UTC 2007
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

Ross S. W. Walker wrote on Sat, 13 Oct 2007 19:49:37 -0400:

> Everything looks OK except you list the PV twice here, maybe
> that's the problem? Just remove the first pv.2 and see if
> that does it.

Oh, well, yeah, one of those errors you don't see even after looking ten
times at it. I actually had this line originally
volgroup VolGroup00 --noformat --pesize=32768 pv.2
and removed the --nofomrat after reading the documentation and added the
pv.2 without noticing it was already at the end. This gotta work now,
thanks!

> Here is the typical desktop kickstart partitioning I use:
>
> clearpart --linux --initlabel --drives=sda
> part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=100 --ondisk=sda --asprimary
> part pv.0 --size=0 --grow --ondisk=sda
> volgroup CentOS --pesize=32768 pv.0
> logvol / --fstype ext3 --name=root --vgname=CentOS --size=4096 --grow
> logvol swap --fstype swap --name=swap --vgname=CentOS --size=1024

Using names instead of the default numbering makes sense, at the moment
I'm still playing with LVM as I used to use physical partitions in the
past.
I have a question in this context: uUsing kickstart for physical machines
is the next step I want to try. I need a tftp server for this. Which one
do you use? I see atftp recommended everywhere and all tutorials are based
on it, but CentOS 5 comes with tftpd and there's no atftp package for
CentOS 5 on rpmforge.

> I typically switch to a swap file after install because it's easier
> to customize, and with today's kernels and file systems it has been
> shown that performance is equivalent between swap files and swap
> partitions. Too bad kickstart doesn't have a option to create a
> swap file...

I wasn't aware you can use a swap file. Thanks for the information, just
looked it up in the documentation.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany