[CentOS] accurate file size

Sun Oct 14 22:10:41 UTC 2007
Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com>

On Sun, Oct 14, 2007, Stephen Harris wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 04:30:16PM -0400, centos at unixplanet.biz wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I was copying some files from one server to other,
>> that I relized the total file size ( sum of all files )
>> in one server is a bit more than the one that copied from
>> ( about 6 when I do du -s )
>
>"du" takes into account block sizes and so on, so may not be the same on
>two different machines.  "ls -l" shows the exact size per file.

There may also be differences if the file system types are
different between the systems (e.g. reiserfs vs ext3).

There is overhead on all file systems, so that a fresh, empty
file system will have less free space than one might expect based
on the size of the disk, number of sectors, and block size.

I would expect that a newly built file system would have more
available space after loading files from another system would
have a bit more free space, all other things being equal, because
new files would likely be in contiguous space, not spread about
as may happen with growing database files.

Bill

You know the one thing that's wrong with this country? Everyone gets a
chance to have their fair say.
    -Bill Clinton, May 29, 1993, The White House