[CentOS] Trying to recover data off SATA-to-SCSI external 2TBARRAY

Mon Oct 15 21:59:38 UTC 2007
Dan Carl <danc at bluestarshows.com>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Antonio da Silva Martins Junior" <asmartins at uem.br>
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2007 4:30 PM
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Trying to recover data off SATA-to-SCSI external
2TBARRAY

> ----- "Dan Carl" <danc at bluestarshows.com> escreveu:
>
> > The array that I'm tyring to recover is a SCSI-toSATA 2U external
> > Raid device.
> > It connects to any u320 controller and is suppose to show up to Linux
> > as 1 SCSI drive.
> > Quote from the manual:
> > "These host interfaces are host O/S independent and will operate on
> > any system that has a working SCSI or Fiber interface
> > The DAS is made up of several components including a RAID controller,
> > backplane board with intelligent environmental monitoring, chassis,
> > power supplies, fans, front control panel with LCD display and hard
drive bays."

> > The Smart Array card that it was originally connected to doesn't
> > recongize it.
> > The SmartArray is in a working server and is currently running an
> > internal Raid 5.
> >
> > My guess is there was some hardware failure on the external side of
> > the controller or the external array.
> > My reasoning for this, is if I connect the A Channel of the external
> > array to my Centos server my SCSI card doesn't recognize it.
> > But if I connect it to the B channel side it does
>
> Well,
>
>   from this I'm thinking you didn't need another SmartArray, but it looks
> like the A channel from your DAS is the problem... Try look on the DAS
manual
> for the configuration options (how the RAID drive are made) and try to
search
> a way to migrate the RAID from channel A to B. Look for a way to acquire
as much
The way I understand it:
Is that the external array or DAS can be serve as a storage device for two
servers.
So I should have to migrate it over to the B channel.

> info on the DAS configuration you can before trying it. I already had
changed
> RAID disks from one controler to another (SmartArrays by the way), and the
RAID
> disks are found without problem. But, if it didn't work and the DAS
"rebuild" it's
> RAID the data on the disks are gone :(
Did you go from a SmartArray to a standard u-320 SCSI controller?
The reason I asked is:
Could my problem be because the the DAS was originally partition and
formated as a /dev/cciss device
and now I trying to read it as a /dev/sda device?

>   another way is trying to contact the DAS maker and their tech assistant.
Not an option, seems like a 2 man outfit in LA. Their suppurt consisted of
emailing me the owners manual.
They just sell the stuff they don't support it.
Another leason for everyone today.
You may save the upfront money by buying noname hardware but sooner or later
you'll pay.