[CentOS] Re: DocX support in OpenOffice

Thu Oct 18 19:43:54 UTC 2007
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 10/18/2007 12:03 PM Frank Cox spake the following:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 11:54:26 -0700
> centos at 911networks.com wrote:
>
>> Here is the basic problem with Linux! Over 1 million office 2007
>> users and they have to change their software because it does not
>> conform to the "standard".
>
> What problem?  A standard file format is just that:  standard.
>
> If you choose to use non-standard, proprietary, locked-in programs and file
> formats, you get to deal with the problems that come along doing that.
>
>> Since Windows is about 90% of all the computers we have to adapt
>> to them.
>
> Er, no.  "If all of your friends were jumping off of a cliff, would you jump
> off too?"
No.. But I would still like to get an invitation so I can be there to hear
their screams! ;-P

> Many people switch to using Linux after they get tired of the crap that goes
> along with trying to get things done with Windows.  I don't see that as a sign
> that there is anything in need of fixing.
Microsoft makes proprietary standards because they are the 800 pound gorilla
of the PC world. Until the world finally puts Microsoft behind them, you have
to deal with inter-operability with your peers. And when you are trying to
persuade a business to part with their hard earned dollars to deal with your
business, asking them to change to suit you will not fly very far.
You can have principles, or you can have income.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and