[CentOS] Installing Skype in CentOS (4.4)

Mon Oct 22 07:43:40 UTC 2007
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Andrew Allen wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 17:56 -0700, Steven Vishoot wrote:
>> --- Andrew Allen <andy.allen at virgin.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to install Skype on a CentOS 4.4 system
>>> and I've followed the
>>> instructions on the Skype website at
>>>
>> http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/repositories.html
>>> but when I run yum install skype it fails with a
>>> whole string of error
>>> messages, ending with
>>> Error: failure:
>>> RPMS/libsigc++20-2.0.17-1.el4.rf.i386.rpm from
>>> rpmforge:
>>> [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
>>>
>>> Has anybody managed to install skype successfully -
>>> if so, how please?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Andy

>> You can try yum clean all and retry yum install. Just
>> a thought.
>>
>> Steven
>>

>> Get your Art Supplies @ www.littleartstore.com
>
> Thanks Steven,
> After I did yum clean all, yum install skype got a lot further and
> looked as if it was going to work! But then it failed on
>
> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Missing Dependency: libQtCore.so.4 is needed by package skype
> Error: Missing Dependency: qt4-x11 >= 4.2 is needed by package skype
> Error: Missing Dependency: libQtGui.so.4 is needed by package skype
> Error: Missing Dependency: libQtDBus.so.4 is needed by package skype
> Error: Missing Dependency: libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.4) is needed by
> package skype
> Error: Missing Dependency: libQtNetwork.so.4 is needed by package skype
> Error: Missing Dependency: libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4) is needed by package
> skype
>
> So how do I resolve this missing dependency problem using yum please?

While I do not normally recommend using statically compiled binaries or
installing programs that are not RPMS, in this case there is no real
choice, other than breaking your system by upgrading qt ... which I
would never recommend.

I can not make a "Redistributable" RPM, as Skype is not GPL ... so
please don't ask :D

But, what you can do is download the Linux "Static" version:

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-static

You can put it in any directory initially (you will want to save it, I
personally put all non-RPM installed software in a directory under
/root/ so that I know what is installed ... Then you need to untar the
file like this (you need to be root to do this):

====================================
COMMANDS
====================================
tar -xvjf  skype_static-<version>.tar.bz2

cd skype_static-<version>

mkdir /usr/share/skype

cp -a * /usr/share/skype/

cd /usr/share/skype/

mv skype /usr/bin/

mv skype.conf /etc/dbus-1/system.d/

chown <your-username>.<your-group> skype.desktop

mv skype.desktop ~<your-username>/Desktop

END COMMANDS

You should now see skype on your desktop, and you can right click the
launcher and change the icon (pictures in /usr/share/skype/icons) now.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes