[CentOS] very simple bulletin board

Tue Oct 23 17:34:31 UTC 2007
Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com>

Dave wrote:

> On 10/23/07, Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com> wrote:
> > Dave wrote:
> > >
> > >  I need to quickly setup a temporary BBS/message board
> system for the
> > > fires in San Diego. We just want people to post if they have rooms
> > > available. So I'm looking for a a very simple and easy to
> get running
> > > BBS system. Any suggestions?
> >
> > Forum style or Wiki style?
> >
> > If it is wiki style then mediawiki is a good choice, stable fairly
> > easy to setup, needs a mysql or postgres backend database, it's at
> > http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki
> >
> > If it is more of a Forum style check out SMF at
> > http://www.simplemachines.org/
> >

>  either or as long as I can get it running in 30 minutes or so. I
> recall having one a number of years ago that used the native DB on all
> linux boxes. If I recall it used only 2 or so html pages and a flat
> DB. Both of those seem a little overkill for what I'm looking for.

If you go with Fedora Core then mediawiki is included in the 'extras'
repository. Do a yum install of mediawiki, it brings in mysql and
apache as dependencies and does most of the setup for you. The rest
can be configured on the media wiki setup page.

That will probably bring you closest to a 30 minute setup.

There may be some tweaking on getting it customized, but the biggest
problem is how to handle registering, if it allows anonymous posting
then it'll be spammed off the map in a day.

Given enough time all software tends towards feature bloat.

-Ross