[CentOS] packages in "base" that are not in "nobase"

Wed Oct 24 10:23:27 UTC 2007
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Johnn Tan wrote:
> Is there a way to list the packages that are in a "base" install, but
> that are not in a "nobase" (core) install?
>
> I did a nobase install, then ran "yum groupinstall Base", but this just
> lists everything in base, including the core packages.
>
> Mainly, I'm just looking to audit the packages, and add only necessary
> ones back to a nobase install.
>
> So far, I've come up with sendmail, man, logwatch, logrotate, vixie-cron.
>
> johnn

The yum group functions do not work well with hidden package groups.

Probably the easiest way to do what you want is to look at the comps.xml
file directly.

For CentOS-5 that can be found here:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/os/i386/repodata/comps.xml

That file has all the groups and files that are part of CentOS (for all
current arches).

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes