[CentOS] Large scale Postfix/Cyrus email system for 100, 000+ users

Wed Oct 24 13:29:15 UTC 2007
Matt Shields <mattboston at gmail.com>

On 10/24/07, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de> wrote:
> Matt Shields wrote:
> > Because of the way that the infrastructure is (biz reasons) we are not
> > doing shared storage, we have numerous IMAP servers that we distribute
> > accounts across.  As we add more users, we image up a new IMAP server.
> >  For our business's scaling purposes this was the best plan.
> >
> > What I am having a problem is how do I get postfix to transfer the
> > email to the particular IMAP server that the user account is on.  I
> > know that I need to use lmtp and transport, but all the examples I
> > have seen show forwarding all email to 1 IMAP server.  I would like
> > Postfix to do a lookup for each mailbox and determine which IMAP
> > server to deliver it to.
>
> Having no idea how that fits into your already existing infrastructure,
> but the Cyrus IMAPD Aggregator (also known as Cyrus IMAPD Murder) looks
> like something which should be evaluated - you probably can even drop
> the mysql database, as it really doesn't matter to which of the
> lmtp/imapd proxies you connect to.

>From what I understand about Cyrus Murder, it is for replicating your
user data across multiple servers, which is good if you want to load
balance multiple IMAP servers and you don't have a shared storage
backend.

As mentioned we have a web frontend that checks mysql when the user
logs in to see which imap server the account resides on.

Everyone, I have figured it out.  I do plan on posting after I finish
documenting the steps (for those interested).

-matt