[CentOS] Re: Site about qmail (with CentOS as SO)

Wed Oct 24 19:00:57 UTC 2007
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Scott Silva wrote:

>> No. But we had that stuff rather regularly with samba - their first line
>> of support seems to be : "Upgrade your version to the most current one,
>> then ask again."
>>
>> That's what I meant.
>>
> That is very common with applications. They don't back patch old
> versions, and the problem you ask about might be already fixed. Just
> look at the dovecot list. People still pop in and ask why 0.99 has this
> problem, because that is what their distro came with, but they are
> currently at 1.0.5, and have 1.1 in beta. Who has the time to backport
> fixes to old versions if you don't get paid for it?

And what's the point even if you do get paid?  The problem is really in
distributions that by policy won't do a version level app upgrade even
in instances where it would clearly be better than patching the beta
version they chose to include.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com