[CentOS] public Key Problems after Centos 4 -> 5 update.

Sat Oct 27 13:16:21 UTC 2007
Robert Slade <centos at likley.co.uk>

On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 05:11 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Robert Slade wrote:

> >> Maybe the CentOS-Base.repo file in your /etc/yum.repos.d/ is the one for
> >> CentOS-4 and not CentOS-5.
> >>
> >> The only difference between the CentOS-4 and CentOS-5 repo files is the
> >> key ... we have different keys for CentOS-4 and CentOS-5.
> >>
> >> By default, there are many CONFIG files that are not replaced if they
> >> have been updated when you do normal upgrades.  In most cases, you will
> >> instead get a file that is a replacement called <config-file-name>.rpmnew
> >>
> >> On an upgrade from CentOS-4 to CentOS-5, you will have MANY files named
> >> .rpmnew that you will need to look at and you will need to modify the
> >> appropriate config files that are currently in place (and designed for
> >> CentOS-4) to work with CentOS-5.
> >
> > Johnny,
> > Thanks for the pointer, I did have a CentOS-Base.repo.rmpnew file.
> >
> > I am still unsure what is happening with yum. I am getting this now:

> > /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/plugins.py:380: DeprecationWarning:
> > registerOpt() will go away in a future version of Yum.
> > Please manipulate config.YumConf and config.RepoConf directly.
> >   DeprecationWarning)
> >
> > Unfortunately, the documenation on the web site for yum does not cover
> > Centos5.
> >

> You may not have the latest version of yum or some of the plugins ....
>
> Please do this command (all one line):
>
> rpm -q yum python yum-metadata-parser yum-utils yum-protectbase
> yum-plugin-protectbase
>
> The results should be this for the latest versions:
>
> yum-3.0.5-1.el5.centos.2
> python-2.4.3-19.el5
> yum-metadata-parser-1.0-8.fc6
> yum-utils-1.0.4-2.el5.centos
> yum-protectbase-1.0.4-2.el5.centos
> package yum-plugin-protectbase is not installed
>
> If you have yum-plugin-protectbase (and not yum-protectbase) installed,
> you need to replace yum-plugin-protectbase ... that is the old version
> from CentOs-4.
>
> Also you need to review the plugins directories if you had any plugins
> installed in CentOS-4 (/etc/yum and /etc/yum/pluginconf.d) to make sure
> there are not any <file_name>.conf.rpmnew files.
>
> You currently have installonlyn and protectbase enabled ... I would
> recommend that you properly configure your CentOS-Base.repo to use
> yum-priorities instead of yum-protectbase.
>
> Also, if you are using the CentOS-Base.repo file and if you are using
> the "mirrorlist" option instead of some specific "baseurl" mirrors, then
> I would also recommend the yum-fastestmirror plugin.
>
> Please see this link for plugin install and configuration:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum
>
> BTW, upgrades are not normally clean.  I personally recommend that
> people never upgrade, but instead backup their data and do a fresh
> install, then move data over.  The upstream provider also recommends this:
>
> http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/ch-upgrade-x86.html

> [...]

Johnny, one again many thanks. You were right I had
yum-plugin-protectbase rather than yum-protectbase. I had removed
fastestmirror as it caused Yum to crash when I first ran it.I have
reinstalled it and it looks like all is well now.

I decided to upgrade rather than reinstall as this is a desktop system
and I do have the data backed up so I could always do a clean install if
the upgrade failed.

I have done a search for *.rpmnew and there are surprisingly few -
working my way through them now.

Again Many Thanks

Rob