[CentOS] forcing device to USB HDD

Sat Oct 27 17:28:53 UTC 2007
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Paul wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 12:27 -0400, Bobby wrote:
>
>> On Saturday 27 October 2007 12:20:31 Israel Garcia wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I bought an USB external hdd (500GB) to make my
>>> backups using dump... but, sometimes my sever
>>> recognize the hdd device /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc... my
>>> question is: How can I assign a fixed device for
>>> example /dev/sdc to my hdd? remember I use some
>>> scripts to do my backup and I am getting errors
>>> because the device changes from sdb to sdc and
>>>
>> I would imagine by manually mounting it
>>

> Ummm no, that is the problem I imagine, the device changes so it can't
> be mounted in his script.
>
> I can't think of a solution right off hand.

I suppose you could put a label on the drive (with tune2fs), then mount
it by LABEL=xxxx...  I dunno what else to suggest.

linux's crappy way of handling disk device names is one of my bigger
gripes about it.     its really messy in a SAN environment where there's
several storage controllers.   /dev/sdf could be almost -anything-.    I
prefer the c1t1d1 notation of traditional Unix systems like Solaris,
although there still can be issues identifying the channel #s