[CentOS] kernel-2.6.18-8.1.15

Tue Oct 30 04:07:29 UTC 2007
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On 10/29/07, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/29/07, David Hrbáč <hrbac.conf at seznam.cz> wrote:
>
> But wait for a while.  I do not want to waste your time and your
> cputime.  I realize I need to do more testing before asking others.
> As you know more than anyone else, these things take a lot of
> (cpu)time.

David,

After successful completion of a rebuild under the "fixed" kernel, I
rolled back to the previous kernel and tried again.  This time it did
not segfault.  And this was the exact same condition as before (same
VMware guest, same kernel) and yet segfault did not occur.  In a
situation like this, it is very difficult to assess a bug fix unless
test runs are repeated enough number of times -- which will take many
days or even weeks.

I will wait for 5.1 because there is some possibility that this issue
is resolved in the newer kernel. In the meantime, the best workaround
is to disable signmodules or to use mock.

Akemi