[CentOS] migration from RHELv5 to CentOS-5

Tue Oct 30 16:16:42 UTC 2007
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>

On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 11:38 -0400, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 19:46 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > ----
> > OK - here's my methodology for upgrading in case it helps someone
> >
> > cp /etc/redhat-release /etc/redhat-release-saved
> > rpm -e --nodeps redhat-release-notes \
> > redhat-releaserpm \
>
> Shouldn't that just be "redhat-release"?
----
yes of course...fat fingered paste  ;-)
----

> > yum-rhn-plugin \
> > redhat-logos
> > rpm -ivh \
> > http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/os/i386/CentOS/centos-release-5-0.0.el5.centos.2.i386.rpm \
> > http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/os/i386/CentOS/centos-release-notes-5.0.0-2.i386.rpm
> > yum update
> >
> > Seems to have worked just fine (redhat-logos replaced automatically as
> > a dependency)
> >
> > Thanks for the help, sorry about the html but I the long lines were
> > breaking
>
> Craig,
>
> Please see if I quoted your procedure properly on
>
>         http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/MigrationGuide

----
perfect - thanks - glad to help even if it's only a teensy weensy bit.

While it may not be obvious, the reason I saved a copy of
the /etc/redhat-release was I have installed software that requires a
Red Hat looking info there (as opposed to CentOS)...sort of a just in
case thing.

Craig