[CentOS] CPAN error

Dan Dansereau ddansereau at hydropoint.com
Tue Sep 4 20:05:59 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On
Behalf Of Jim Perrin
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 1:13 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] CPAN error

On 9/4/07, Mark Quitoriano <markquitoriano at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all im not sure if this is the right mailing list but im using
centos
> anyway. i run CPAN by perl -MCPAN -e shell and got through  the first
time
> configuration and after selecting the mirror sites i got this error
and i
> can't get any modules to be installed. I haven't encountered this
before and
> not very familiar with cpan.

CPAN is a horrible way to install software on a centos box, as it
completely bypasses the package management system. Because of this,
you can end up with unmet dependencies when things are really
installed, centos updates to perl may break because cpan updated a
core component, etc.

Mostly, just don't do it. Use rpmforge or other 3rd party repositories
to install perl modules.

--
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act.