[CentOS] Re: Promise VTrak and CentOS 5

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Sep 5 17:22:02 UTC 2007

Bart Schaefer spake the following on 9/5/2007 9:26 AM:
> We're having a problem with Linux and/or the SCSI controller failing
> to access an external RAID device.  Components are:
> SuperMicro 6025B-TR+V
> CentOS 5.0 with yum update as of a week or two ago (kernel 2.6.18-8.1.8.el5)
> Promise Vtrak M310p
> Adaptec 29320 LPE -- aic79xx module
> Sometimes this fails on the initial device probing (before the kernel
> even begins to boot); sometimes the device is recognized ok and then
> we get a failure later on in the boot sequence (and then the device
> disappears).
> RedHat Linux is in the compatibility list for that Adaptec card, and
> the card is listed as compatible with the Promise VTrak.  We were able
> to get this combination to work by giving up on the Ultra320 setting
> and dropping back to 160 in the controller setup, but if anyone has
> suggestions or info it would be appreciated.
There has been a lot of traffic on Adaptec cards and ultra320 not working
properly with the current drivers. The only fix I have seen posted is to get
an LSI card.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!