[CentOS] Why CentOS as a webhosting platform

Ken Price kprice at nowyouknow.net
Thu Sep 6 14:46:47 UTC 2007

CentOS is doing well in the webhosting business for the same reason
"the upstream provider" is doing well in the enterprise data center.
Webhosting companies have recognized the low TCO CentOS brings to the
table, as well as it's binary compatibility with RHEL and the benefits
that come with.  Having an enterprise Linux distro as your hosting
platform gives you confidence and piece of mind with regards to
security and errata fixes for the better part of a decade.  I no
longer have to reinstall Fedora every 6 months to keep my servers (and
clients) secure.  An Enterprise distro also brings stability and ease
of maintenance to the table.

The popularity of RHEL in the corporate world makes CentOS a
no-brainer in the dedicated server market, which tends to be more
price-conscious and volatile.  This market also tends to cater to the
advanced linux user, whether that be a linux professional or serious
hobbyist.

With the advent of CentOS 5.x, a VPS can benefit from all the points
I've already made, again making CentOS a perfect candidate in the VPS
market with no [or little] customization.

Webhosting companies are businesses.  TCO is a prime concern and
consideration which makes enterprise distributions attractive.  A
proven *free* enterprise distro is obviously a perfect fit.

Regards,
Kenneth Price