[CentOS] unable to add IP address to eth0:0 eth0:1 etc

Ray Leventhal centos at swhi.net
Fri Sep 7 14:05:59 UTC 2007

<snip>
>> if you'd explain, I'd be grateful.
>>

> You will need to add the routes for the other subnet in your routing
> table as such.
>
> route add -net XX.XX.XX.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0
>
> I believe there is a place to add static routes in one of the startup
> scripts (besides rc.local), but forget where it is, I think if you
> configure ifcfg-eth0:X sub-interfaces scripts ifup will create these
> routes.
>
> -Ross

Hi Ross et al,

I'm getting an error on adding the route.  The machine's base IP is in
the xx.xx.16.x /24.  The additional IPs are in another /24.  Base is
physical, the others are virtual hosts.

The error on adding routes is:
route: netmask doesn't match route address
Usage: route [-nNvee] [-FC] [<AF>]           List kernel routing tables
       route [-v] [-FC] {add|del|flush} ...  Modify routing table for AF.

       route {-h|--help} [<AF>]              Detailed usage syntax for
specified AF.
       route {-V|--version}                  Display version/author and
exit.

        -v, --verbose            be verbose
        -n, --numeric            don't resolve names
        -e, --extend             display other/more information
        -F, --fib                display Forwarding Information Base
(default)
        -C, --cache              display routing cache instead of FIB

  <AF>=Use '-A <af>' or '--<af>'; default: inet
  List of possible address families (which support routing):
    inet (DARPA Internet) inet6 (IPv6) ax25 (AMPR AX.25)
    netrom (AMPR NET/ROM) ipx (Novell IPX) ddp (Appletalk DDP)
    x25 (CCITT X.25)

I know i'm probably being thick here, and I do appreciate the
assistance.  What am I missing?

Thanks again so very much,
~Ray