[CentOS] Help with External USB drive on RH/Centos 5

Scott Ehrlich

scott at MIT.EDU
Fri Sep 7 19:22:43 UTC 2007

Another issue to tackle - I have an external 1 TB drive (2 500GB on a RAID).
When I plug it into the server, it sees, via /var/log/messages, that a USB
device was plugged in, but that's it.   fdisk -l doesn't see it.  dmesg doesn't
do much, either.   It is a Western Digital My Book II device.

I want to format it and use it for external storage, but can't until I get to
it.    What is the best way to get to the drive?

Thanks.

Scott