[CentOS] Re: rpm spec files for ruby

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Tue Sep 11 20:23:33 UTC 2007

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 12:58:13PM -0400, James B. Byrne alleged:

> Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > To find out exactly what is going on, look at the bit which creates
> > the .files that are then used in the %files section to workout what
> > which files go into what rpm. There would be an overlap there.
>
> Given this snippet:
>

> %files -f ruby.files
> %files devel -f ruby-devel.files
>
> I speculate (since the rpm manual is not very helpful on the matter) that
> if --target= is not specified then the first file command will execute but
> not the third and include all of the files listed in ruby.files only
> whereas if --target=devel is specified to the rpmbuild command then the
> first and second commands will execute and include the contents of
> ruby.files and ruby-devel.files.
>
> Is my understanding of this correct or in what matter is it defective?

No, --target is used to specify the target arch, eg. --target=i386 or
--target=i686.

The %files sections are for creating subpackages.  The first %files lists files
that will be in the ruby package, the second are the files for the ruby-devel
package.  You'll see corresponding %package, and possibly %post, %pre, etc.
section.