[CentOS] Document Scanning and Storage

gjgowey at tmo.blackberry.net gjgowey at tmo.blackberry.net
Thu Sep 13 00:09:20 UTC 2007

I guess it boils down to what someone needs out of such a system.  If you're looking to store text data from ocr conversion (for searching) then you could use a clob column as well as a blob for the image based version.  As for storing these in the db, php makes that easy since all file uploads are automatically stored in temporary files and it's just a matter of reading the contents and storing it in the db.  User rights can be regulated using a separate column for the entry.  Basically 6 columns would be all that's needed: record id (incrementing integer), a blob, a clob, group access field (I'd suggest an integer), date stored, and user who created the record.

Of course a separate table to convert user logins to what groups they can access.

Now if you want to get more elaborate you could add a version column to the db so that "updates" to the record will create another row with the version number increased so the original isn't modified (ala subversion, cvs, etc).  Another column that stores a Boolean value could be used to store if the record is "deleted" (hidden in reality) or not.

Logins can be stored in the db and an apache mod can be used to use that information.

It's really not elaborate in creating the storage part.  It's always the ui that is the worst part of any project (both the admin and end user ui), but eclipse with struts and tiles or XML and xsl instead of tiles (personally, I prefer the xml/xsl approach, but to each their own) can make it less painful.  I've had rather good experiences with eclipse and the redhat plugin (formerly exadel) for working with struts and tiles.

Geoff

Sent from my BlackBerry wireless handheld.