[CentOS] hardware raid vs fake raid

Tim Verhoeven tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 07:00:48 UTC 2007

On 9/13/07, Tom Diehl <tdiehl at rogueind.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know how  I can find out if an ibm serveraid 8k sas storage
> controller (zero channel RAID) is a real hardware RAID controller and
> supported in the standard CentOs kernel or is it a fake raid controller.
> I am trying to decide if I should get the serveraid controller or go get
> a 3ware controller.

Tom,

The ServeRAID 8k s a real hardware raid controller, is has 256 MB of
cache I think and a battery backup. So in this case there is no need
for a 3ware controller. On the IBM website you can also find a
commandline tool (called arcconf) that allows you monitor and
configure the controller inside Linux.

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Verhoeven - dj at rootshell.be - 0479 / 88 11 83

Hoping the problem  magically goes away  by ignoring it is the
(Linus Torvalds)