[CentOS] Re: hardware raid vs fake raid

Sebastian Walter sebastian.walter at fu-berlin.de
Thu Sep 13 15:33:03 UTC 2007

Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> My IBM x3500 machines have this card:
>
> # lspci
> 03:00.0 RAID bus controller: Adaptec AAC-RAID (Rocket) (rev 02)
>
> I'm not quite sure if this also has an IBM serveraid name.
>
> I don't think it is fakeraid; setting up raid devices can take
> place at bios level, the buildup of the RAID5 or RAID6 volumes
> can run without any drivers loaded.
>
> If this is fakeraid I would like a clear definition of the term
> fakeraid.

First we should clearly distinguish between SAS and SATA raid cards ;)

As far as I see, the Adaptex AAC-RAID card is a SATA card, while
Adaptec's SAS cards are called AIC, ASC/ASR or ASR (please correct me if
I'm wrong! Accept my apologies in advance if I am). According to the
link posted earlier (http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html), your
Adaptec card is real hardware (I would also agree on your definition of
fakeraid as being dependent on drivers, but these could also be set up
in BIOS!). Many other (expecially cheap) Adaptec cards are fake raid cards.

-- Sebastian