[CentOS] yum proxy username with @ character

Shawn K. O'Shea shawn at ll.mit.edu
Thu Sep 13 17:46:17 UTC 2007

Brad Beyenhof wrote:
> Clint Dilks wrote:
>> http_proxy understands the format <username>:<password>@<my
>> proxy>:<proxy port> so in this case the @ is probably being
>> interpreted as server identifier.  I would try enclosing the user
>> name in single quotes or adding a \ before the @.  If these do not
>> work your only option may be to contact the proxy admin and obtain a
>> username without the @
> If putting '\@' to escape the at sign didn't work, have you tried
> using the URL escape code of '%40' to represent it?
I was really curious about this, so I googled around a bit. I don't know
about the support in the environment variables, but from what I'm
reading, the "%40" encoding should definitely work if you use the proxy
variables in yum.conf, ie:

This should at a minimum be true for CentOS 4.5 since I cracked open the
python on my box to see exactly what the proxy code was doing :)