[CentOS] request for hosting ( London, UK )

John Bowden j-alan at btconnect.com
Thu Sep 13 22:16:00 UTC 2007

On Thursday 13 September 2007 15:46:52 Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> John Bowden wrote:
> > I have an "up to 8Mb BT Business ADSL line", all ways connected. its
> > running a bit slow at the moment, (Incoming: 3776 kbps Outgoing: 448
> > kbps), and I plan
>
> Thanks for offering to help, i dont think 1U machines are the sorts you
> want to host at home (a) the noise will drive you over the edge [1] (b)
> they are not the most energy effecient machines when run outsude 24/7
> AirCon environs.
Oh I did not know rack mounted machines could be so noise. I been toying with
the idea of getting some old second hand units to play with to go with my 24
port 1U 10/100 hub I recently picked up at a local computer fair. Would it
cause any problems stacking them on top of each other or would they have a
tendency to over heat with out the racking? The room I would be running them
in is a small bed room, large enough for a single bed and bed side table and
I plan to install my own home made air conditioning!

> Also the issue in that case will be the 448kbps uplink..
Yes my connection seemed fast when I upgraded from a 2Mb connection at the
beginning of the year, but it seems a bit sluggish now with Azureus file
sharing and regular Linux distro DVD ISO down loads!

> Coreix.net have stepped up to offer hosting. I will be speaking with them
> in a short while to see what and how we might be able to work out.
>
> - KB
>
> [1] I know, I have run rack machines at home for a while.
> [2] It seems, Starting from Johnny Hughes, that all John's are good people,
> and awesome at helping out the project! We should call our next project
> 'John' :)
keep a note of my email address for the future and if I can be of any
assistance along the same lines drop me a line, my connection will be
increasing as and when finances allow.

--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)