[CentOS] mailq.postfix manpage

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Fri Sep 14 08:56:12 UTC 2007

Stefano Biagiotti wrote:
> Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net> wrote:
>> Stefano Biagiotti wrote:
>>> On CentOS 4 I can't view the mailq man page. I installed postfix and
>>> removed sendmail.
>>>
>>> # LANG=en_US man mailq
>>> fopen: No such file or directory
>>> Cannot open man page /usr/share/man/man1/sendmail.1.gz
>>> No manual entry for mailq
>>>
>>> # zcat /usr/share/man/man1/mailq.postfix.1.gz
>>> .so man1/sendmail.1
>>>
>>> Solved replacing with ".so man1/sendmail.postfix.1".
>>>
>>> Has this little typo to be reported in the CentOS Bug Tracker?
>> In /etc/alternatives...where does the symlink point to?
>> Mine:
>> mta-mailqman -> /usr/share/man/man1/mailq.postfix.1.gz
>
>  # ls -al /usr/share/man/man1/mailq.1.gz
>  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 31 lug 16:30 /usr/share/man/man1/mailq.1.gz -> /etc/alternatives/mta-mailqman
>  # ls -al /etc/alternatives/mta-mailqman
>  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 38 31 lug 16:49 /etc/alternatives/mta-mailqman -> /usr/share/man/man1/mailq.postfix.1.gz
>
> What does "zcat /usr/share/man/man1/mailq.postfix.1.gz" show?
> If ".so man1/sendmail.1", this file doesn't exist.

The same.

>> You probably forgot to run system-switch-mail after you installed
>> postfix and then removed sendmail.
> I ran system-switch-mail after I installed postfix and before I
> removed sendmail.

After I also removed the sendmail package.

man mailq

--partial content--

SENDMAIL(1)

             SENDMAIL(1)

NAME
        sendmail - Postfix to Sendmail compatibility interface

SYNOPSIS
        sendmail [option ...] [recipient ...]

        mailq
        sendmail -bp

        newaliases
        sendmail -I

DESCRIPTION
        The  Postfix  sendmail(1)  command  implements the Postfix to
Sendmail compatibility interface.  For the sake of compatibility with
existing applications, some
        Sendmail command-line options are recognized but silently ignored.

        By default, Postfix sendmail(1) reads a message from standard
input until EOF or until it reads a line with only a .  character,  and
  arranges  for  delivery.
        Postfix sendmail(1) relies on the postdrop(1) command to create
a queue file in the maildrop directory.

        Specific command aliases are provided for other common modes of
operation:

        mailq  List  the  mail  queue.  Each entry shows the queue file
ID, message size, arrival time, sender, and the recipients that still
need to be delivered.  If
               mail could not be delivered upon the last attempt, the
reason for failure is shown. This mode of operation is implemented by
executing the  postqueue(1)
               command.

        newaliases
               Initialize  the  alias  database.   If no input file is
specified (with the -oA option, see below), the program processes the
file(s) specified with the
               alias_database configuration parameter.  If no alias
database type is specified, the program uses the type specified with the
default_database_type con-
               figuration parameter.  This mode of operation is
implemented by running the postalias(1) command.

               Note: it may take a minute or so before an alias database
update becomes visible. Use the "postfix reload" command to eliminate
this delay.

        These  and  other features can be selected by specifying the
appropriate combination of command-line options. Some features are
controlled by parameters in the
        main.cf configuration file.

        The following options are recognized:

        -Am (ignored)

        -Ac (ignored)
               Postfix sendmail uses the same configuration file
regardless of whether or not a message is an initial submission.

        -B body_type