[CentOS] Very strange problem i have faced in my 2 years carrier

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Fri Sep 14 13:48:00 UTC 2007

Bill Campbell wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2007, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Bill Campbell wrote:
>>> Unfortunately that isn't much use if you're running the default
>>> system with prelink as it changes large numbers of executables
>>> rendering the RPM verify close to useless.
>> unless you are using a very old version of rpm, prelink is not a problem
>
> There are still a metric tonne of S.5... lines when doing ``rpm -V''

Yeah, a good number of my configuration files suffer from that. I wonder
why.

> I just ran a script now that checks all packages on a fresh
> install of Centos 5, x86_64 with all updates applied.  This
> should be pretty clean on a new install, but ``wc'' on the output
> returns ``45031  100197 2608718''.  Over 45,000 lines of output
> is a bit much on a new system.

I do not know about Centos 5, my system is Centos 4.

> Running ``fgrep S.5 filename | grep '/usr/bin/' | wc'' returns
> 446 files that fail verification in just the /usr/bin directory.

'rpm -Va > verifycheck3'
Then:
fgrep S.5 verifycheck3 | grep '/usr/bin/'
S.5....T    /usr/bin/dltest
S.5....T    /usr/bin/isql
S.5....T    /usr/bin/iusql
S.5....T    /usr/bin/odbc_config
S.5....T    /usr/bin/odbcinst

That 446 would not happen to be last number from wc output would it? The
above yields 144 characters, 10 words and 5 lines if piped into wc.

> This is on a system without prelink, and hasn't been up long
> enough for cron to have run it in any case.  My guess is that it
> has something to do with the way CentOS handles 64 bit packaging.
> It appears that it's installing i386 and x86_64 versions of
> packages.  ``rpm -qa | sort | uniq -c'' shows 337 packages with
> the duplicate names.

The above was on a 64-bit system.