[CentOS] question on alias IPs using ifcfg-eth0:x

Ray Leventhal

centos at swhi.net
Fri Sep 14 19:30:55 UTC 2007

When using ifcfg-eth0:x files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/, should
each file (where x increments appropriately) point to DEVICE=eth0:x or
DEVICE=eth0:0?

I apparently have my alias files all ifcfg-eth0:0 - ifcfg-eth0:7 show
DEVICE=eth0:0.  Is this right?  It seems odd to me and while it does
seem odd, the alias IPs are being appropriately responded to, answering
pings and nameserver requests.

The output of /sbin/ifconfig is what clued me in to the fact that I may
well have done this wrong.  This output showed eth0 and eth0:0 only.

Suggestions are welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks,
~Ray

CentOS release 5 (Final)
13:28:59 up 40 days,  1:58,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.00
kernel: 2.6.18-8.el5