[CentOS] Re: centos] CentOS 5 on IA64

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Sep 14 19:32:53 UTC 2007

[Administrivia: should this be on CentOS-devel instead of the regular CentOS
list?  If so, please redirect.]

On Friday 14 September 2007, Lamar Owen wrote:
> Whew.  As typical, you have thoroughly thought through things.  Let me see
> if the beast will power up and whether the OS/2 console processor comes up
> before we make too many plans, though.  And, as I mentioned, it is a SMALL
> s390; but it is the genuine article, Model 3006.  As I said, a little box.
> Its usability will depend entirely upon whether the disks are wiped or not,
> I would think; but it does still have the disks, at least.  A few 18.2GB
> units, IIRC.

Ok, my curiosity got the best of me, and so I ran a couple of 208 power cords
over to the 3006, hooked up a PS/2 keyboard, mouse, and monitor, and booted
the rig.  OS/2 comes up just fine, and the P390 tools are all there.  Hmm, I
get an SSA event; ah, one of the three 18.2GB drives is bad, apparently, and
the SSA RAID5 is running in degraded mode.  Anybody got an IBM 21L3335 18.2GB
SSA hard disk assembly, or know anything about such a beast?  If my Torx
drivers were here I'd pop the top on the drive shell and see what kind of
drive it really is, and see if I have something compatible lying around.

The P390 IPL's OK, but my ignorance of the Integrated Server environment is
showing, as I'm pretty clueless about getting a console.  Oh, and the config
is password-protected; have to figure out how to get around that.  The PSW
windows runs, increments, and I see pretty color bars; for whatever that's
worth.

In any case, I shut down the P390 with the provided tool, and shut down OS/2.

The beast boots; but it will need a drive (it has several empty bays that
could take SSA drives, too, if someone had some that wanted to part with
them).

There are what appears to be two ESCON cards; one has a large DB connector; 50
pins or more, and the other has a duplex fiber connector; looks like FDDI.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer