[CentOS] Re: Language interfaces and X.Org sessions per user

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Sun Sep 16 18:17:50 UTC 2007

William L. Maltby wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 13:09 -0400, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> > William L. Maltby wrote:

> > Hogwash, while yes you will definitely need more resources as far
> > as hard disk, memory and network there is no need to worry
> about user
> > X overwritting user Y's data. Hell Unix and it's variants had been
> > successfully doing multi-user X sessions for years before
> even Windows
> > 95 was a glint in Bill's eyes.
>
> As an after-thought, it occurred to me that I may have not
> been obvious
> enough in my original reply. Having been working on *IX variants since
> PWB V6/7, circa 1978, I've some understanding of *IX general
> capabilities, and some understanding of the basic capabilities of
> various utilities that run on *IX systems. I'm not expert at anything,
> but don't claim such expertise either.
>
> As to my soapbox paragraph, it seems to fit with generally accepted
> concerns about security issues, at which I'm also no expert. If the
> requested <CTL>-<ALT>... does not imply a local console, I'm glad to
> learn new stuff.

My apologies for the abrasiveness of my statement.

Corruption won't occur, but yes if you aren't using the built-in user
switching capability of the GUI and are just spawning X sessions on
virtual terminals on the console it is conceivable that security can
be compromised.

The built-in user switching in KDE and Gnome auto-locks the current
session, or if the current session is locked allows the console user
to spawn a secondary session on the next available virtual terminal.

This is what the OP is most likely going to want to use.

In a home environment when configuring a shared workstation there is
no real need for the extra resources (except memory) as there will
really only be 1 interactive user at 1 time.

In a corporate environment where a shared X server is handling
multiple X terminals then you will need to scale disk and network
appropriately.

-Ross