[CentOS] Multiple IP Address

Brett Serkez bserkez at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 14:04:41 UTC 2007

On 9/14/07, Brett Serkez <bserkez at gmail.com> wrote:
> > pretty sure thats configurable in SMB.CONF
> >
> > [global]
> >     interfaces =  [ (ip address or network interface or ip/mask or
> > broadcast/mask) ...]
>
> Researched this before I emailed originally, this doesn't do it.
> Even if I specify only the subnet I want in all these places, the
> behavior is unaffected.
>
> The reason I posted to CentOS and not SAMBA is that from what I can
> tell, the decision as to what address to return seemed to have more to
> do with the OS.
>
> Does anyone on this know how the OS determines which IP address to
> choose when asked for its address when it has multiple choices.  From
> the best I can tell so far, it seems to be the last adapter to start,
> the last one listed in ifconfig.

While I have not resolved the issue, after more research I believe it
is a SAMBA (nmbd) issue.  I appreciate all the responses I've gotten,
they have been helpful!  In particular, using nbtstat -R to flush the
NetBIOS cache on the Windows client to be sure of results is very
helpful.

This is not a routing, interface or multi-homing issue.  The issue
seems to be within the nmbd daemon and how it selects ip addresses to
return in answer to name queries.

So far I've not found a way to control or alter this behavior.  I did
find the following reference in regard to a variant of the nmbd
daemon, a -I option that doesn't seem to be implemented in the current
version:

-I

          On some systems, the server is unable to determine  the
          correct  IP address to use. This allows you to override
          the default choice.

Since this system acts as a backup VPN server, I've temporarily
disabled OpenVPN to control the behavior so that I can use it to
experiment on another project which requires "correct" name
resolution.

If I find a resolution, I'll reply back to the list.

Thanks to all,

Brett