[CentOS] Disabling shutdown and suspend for normal users

Henk van Lingen

henkvl at cs.uu.nl
Wed Sep 19 13:20:37 UTC 2007

Hi,

[CentOS 5]

What is the best way to remove the shutdown and suspend options
from menu's for normal users?

After googling around, I added "SystemMenu=false" to the greeter
section in /etc/gdm/custom.conf. After that the GDM login screen
still shows the options, but 'restart' indeed doesn't work anymore.
However, the gnome menu's when logged in, still have the 'suspend'
options, which still leads to a hanging (unwakeble) machine.

BTW: I prefer editing  config files instead of stupid gui's, as I have to
     change a lot of machines :-)

Regards,
--
Henk van Lingen, Systems Administrator & DBA                  (o-      -+
Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University.                /\        |