[CentOS] best source for rpmdevtools RPM in C5

mark pryor

tlviewer at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 15:28:47 UTC 2007

hello,

I'm going to try this question again. The first time I botched it and the answers I got were useless.

I want to use rpmdevtools to help with some packaging chores. There is no C5 version that I can find. I've located an SRC RPM in a location that is known to be C5 compatible. There are 2 versions of rpmdevtools:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/6/SRPMS/rpmdevtools-6.1-0.1.fc6.src.rpm
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/6/SRPMS/rpmdevtools-5.3-1.fc6.src.rpm

naturally I grabbed the highest version (6.1) and rebuilt it for EL5. The installation halted, missing a version of rpm-build higher than the base version in C5. It seems that rpm-build 4.4.2.1+ comes from FC7. This is the first time that I've seen an FC6 repo package that depended on something from FC7.

rpmdevtools 5.3.1 builds, installs, and works fine on C5.

I think I made the right decisions here (balking at trying to install a higher version of rpm-build).

If you need to use rpmdevtools, how would you approach the problem? What source repo would you use? Is there an rhel5 SRC RPM? Where is it?

thanks,
Mark