[CentOS] Disabling shutdown and suspend for normal users

Erik Laxdal elaxdal at ECE.UVic.CA
Wed Sep 19 16:31:57 UTC 2007

Henk van Lingen wrote:
> Hi,
> [CentOS 5]
> What is the best way to remove the shutdown and suspend options
> from menu's for normal users?
> After googling around, I added "SystemMenu=false" to the greeter
> section in /etc/gdm/custom.conf. After that the GDM login screen
> still shows the options, but 'restart' indeed doesn't work anymore.
> However, the gnome menu's when logged in, still have the 'suspend'
> options, which still leads to a hanging (unwakeble) machine.
> BTW: I prefer editing  config files instead of stupid gui's, as I have to
>      change a lot of machines :-)

To remove the reboot/shutdown options from the login screen (after
setting SystemMenu=False) two small modifications are needed to:

The two modifications are:

1. Change line 102 from:
                           <show modes="console"/>
                           <show type="reboot" modes="console"/>

2. Change line 118 from:
                           <show modes="console"/>
                           <show type="halt" modes="console"/>

The lines above both of these should have an item tag refering to the
appropriate reboot/halt button.  Then restart the gdm.  The shutdown and
reboot buttons should no longer appear.

I use the following command:

gconftool-2 --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory
-s -t bool /apps/gnome-power-manager/can_suspend false

to remove the suspend option from the gnome system menu.  Also, deleting
the symbolic links for halt, poweroff, and reboot in /usr/bin appears to
remove the respective options from the menu as well as from the command