[CentOS] 2 nics, 2 networks, 2 switches

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Wed Sep 19 20:10:12 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 12:16 -0400, Ken Price wrote:
> What you're asking can be done a number of ways with different levels
> of complexity, the simplest using routing tables and IPTABLES.
> Instead of asking this list how to technically do this, I'd suggest
> that first you describe what you're trying to accomplish at a higher
> level.  And be very specific.  Then you will/should receive technical
> advice better suited to your problem.

I'll do my best to explain in more detail.

The server is running CentOS 5, and it has two NICs on it.  NIC 1 is
currently active, and plugged into network A - let's say it's
10.1.1.0/255.255.255.224.  NIC 2 is currently disabled.  I want to
enable it, but on a different network - let's say it's
10.1.2.0/255.255.255.0.

Network A is in a fairly well locked down DMZ.  I can get to only some
devices on network B from network A.  Network B has full access to
Network A.

Network A and Network B each use different gateways, so I can't use
network A's gateway (which is in the DMZ) for NIC 2.  NIC 2 would have
to use network B's gateway.

I need to activate both NICs because services running on the box need to
access devices on network B, and that's only possible from within
network B itself.

So, is that enough detail?  I'm not sure if I've cleared things up or
just made more of a mess.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Ranbir