[CentOS] best source for rpmdevtools RPM in C5

Timothy Selivanow timothys at easystreet.com
Thu Sep 20 16:52:48 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 08:28 -0700, mark pryor wrote:
> hello,
>
> I'm going to try this question again. The first time I botched it and
> the answers I got were useless.
>
> I want to use rpmdevtools to help with some packaging chores. There is
> no C5 version that I can find. I've located an SRC RPM in a location
> that is known to be C5 compatible. There are 2 versions of
> rpmdevtools:
>
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/6/SRPMS/rpmdevtools-6.1-0.1.fc6.src.rpm
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/6/SRPMS/rpmdevtools-5.3-1.fc6.src.rpm
>
> naturally I grabbed the highest version (6.1) and rebuilt it for EL5.
> The installation halted, missing a version of rpm-build higher than
> the base version in C5. It seems that rpm-build 4.4.2.1+ comes from
> FC7. This is the first time that I've seen an FC6 repo package that
> depended on something from FC7.

To use the 6.1 version, you need an updated version of rpm ( > 4.4.2 ).
FC6 uses rpm-4.4.2.1, which is a slightly modified version of rpm-4.4.2
from F7 (F7 uses python-2.5, FC6 uses python-2.4).

> rpmdevtools 5.3.1 builds, installs, and works fine on C5.
>
> I think I made the right decisions here (balking at trying to install
> a higher version of rpm-build).
>
> If you need to use rpmdevtools, how would you approach the problem?
> What source repo would you use? Is there an rhel5 SRC RPM? Where is
> it?

You can try looking at EPEL for it.  EPEL is the rebuilding of Fedora
Extras, by the Fedora team.  If you look at
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/SRPMS/repoview/rpmdevtools.html , you will see that the most recent version is 5.3-1.

--
Timothy Selivanow <timothys at easystreet.com>
Linux System Administrator