[CentOS] Choosing VPN Server

Brian Mathis brian.mathis at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 17:15:43 UTC 2007

I just want to point out that the default port for openvpn is 1194.
SSL/TLS has absolutely nothing to do with port 443, except that https
happens to use both port 443 and SSL/TLS.  Otherwise, SSL/TLS is
simply a toolkit used for encryption, and does not require any
specific port whatsoever.  Saying so would be like saying that glibc
requires network port XYZ.

The use of port 443 with openvpn is only mentioned as a convenience,
because many firewalls allow traffic to port 443 to pass unrestricted,
while they may block other ports.

Those of you in the know probably already know this, but for those
unfamiliar, the discussion may seem to imply that port 443 and SSL/TLS
are tightly bound.  This message is intended to clarify that
implication.